Saturday, April 17, 2010

Back in the US of A

They say you go through "reverse culture shock" upon returning to your home country after a significant amount of time away. Apparently 8 months in Peru was a sufficient amount of time for airports to induce this state of panic and distress.

Let me tell you, it's awesome.

Had a near melt down in the bathroom trying to figure out what to do with the toilet paper. Seriously. I sat there for a while before finally accepting the fact I could flush it.

Witnessed a man crouch down and yell in the face of his 3 year old who was crying in his stroller. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time. What is wrong with people?!

I've answered nearly every question asked of me in spanish. I got excited when the man at customs decided to go with it and switch to spanish.

Overwhelming sense of fear that I'm going to gain back the 25 lbs I lost in Peru in the next week. lol. Not kidding.

Profound sense of sadness that I am not with the people I've lived every day with for the past 8 months.

Looming sense of failure that I did not complete the job I was sent to do.

Waves of sheer panic that a week ago I had the next 19 months of my life planned and now have NO CLUE.

And somewhere...buried deep...is a voice that tells me everythings gonna be alright...I hope.

Hope that is seen is no hope at all, afterall? Yeah?

Aloha Still Means Te Amo,
Suthee

No comments:

Post a Comment