Monday, September 14, 2009

Present Tense

In my first 2 weeks of Spanish class I could only speak in the present tense. There were times when I was frustrated that I couldn’t explain something because I couldn’t speak of the past or future. At first, I viewed this as a limit but the funny thing about limits is that, more often than not, they lead a different kind of freedom. In my limited knowledge, I became free to really explore the present moment. I’m not saying the past and future aren’t important, of course they are! The past has contributed to who we are and the future will grow from the choices we make in the present. However, when you can only speak of this moment you begin to realize how much you talk about that is out of your hands. It’s sad to me when I think of how much time and energy I’ve expended over things I could not change or control (and so as not to repeat those mistakes, I won’t continue on that subject anymore!).

I’m so thankful for the past 2 weeks of not being able to speak about anything but the present. I’m so thankful to be fully present in this moment, that I can appreciate all I’d normally take for granted.

Learning Spanish is teaching me more about myself and life than I would’ve thought possible. And that is always a good place to be. I challenge you to find ways to be fully present in this moment.

Aloha Means Te Amo,
Suthee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment